This course will walk you through all the steps to complete a grant. It is recommended that students come to class with a project they wish to submit for funding.
Module 1 – How to define a “grant” and where and when should you seek funding?
- Define a grant
- Types of grants
- Funding sources – state and federal
- Grant considerations
Module 2 – What is the overall goal or problem that is to be addressed in the proposal or program for which you are requesting funds?
- S.M.A.R.T goals
- Performance measures and project objectives
Module 3 – What are the performance measures or objectives of the grant proposal or request?
- Goals vs. objectives
- Objective statements
Module 4 – How to develop the program narrative or description
- What is a project narrative?
- What information should be contained in a project narrative?
Module 5 – Budget Preparation
- Define federal budget categories or line items.
- What are the costs?
Module 6 – Budget Detail
- Define a list of budget categories
- How to provide details for why the funds are needed and how they will be spent.
- Other budget considerations, what to avoid, record keeping, vendors, reports
Module 7 – Project Evaluation
- Is it required?
- Evaluation funding and how to include it into your proposal
Module 8 – Final Exercise
The course will write a final grant application utilizing all the elements and will present the application to the class. Students will walk away with a completed grant application.