Module 1 – Law Enforcement and the Media: A Bridge Too Far?
- Participants will understand how police/media relations have changed with the advent of community policing.
- Participants will recognize the value of training for Public Information Officers to build professionalism into information-sharing processes.
- Participants will gain an understanding of the commitment required of a PIO to their position.
- Participants will discuss and understand the changing dynamics of public information with the development of social media.
- By gaining an understanding of the mindset of police and the media, participants will recognize the similarities between the two groups in an effort to develop positive relationships between them.
Module 2 – Bridging the Gap between Police and the Media
- Participants will understand how news is defined and what constitutes a newsworthy story for the media.
- Participants will discuss the value of working with the media to build truthful stories about reported events and steps to take to produce positive news.
Module 3 – Managing the Message
- Participants will understand the communication process and the impact of verbal and nonverbal communication on a listener.
- Participants will discuss the components of communication and understand how ambiguous messages inhibit effective communication.
- Participants will recognize key attributes of a successful PIO.
- Participants will discuss the various communication venues for message delivery.
Module 4 – Crisis Communications
- Participants will define crisis communications.
- Participants will understand the steps of crisis communication.
- Participants will discuss the challenges to Crisis Communications and understand how to overcome these challenges.
- Through a group activity, participants will apply the principles learned in the module to a scenario.
Module 5 – Crafting Effective Messages in a Crisis
- Participants will differentiate between the different purposes for messages in order to apply them appropriately to a situation.
- Participants will utilize the steps of message-development in a scenario.
Module 6 – Handling Media Interviews
- Participants will understand the steps of handling on-scene media interviews to ensure the preservation of evidence and the safety of media personnel.
- Participants will understand the value of gathering preliminary information before speaking with the media during an active event.
Module 7 – Press Conferences and Press Briefings
- Participants will understand the difference between a press conference and press briefing.
- Participants will discuss the value of setting ground rules to control the message during a press conference.
- Participants will understand the significance of their role in a press conference.
- Participants will analyze an actual press conference as a learning tool.
- Participants will conduct a press conference based on a fictitious event.