Principles of Leadership
- Problem-based learning
- Emotional Intelligence (E.I.), why is it important? How does it affect you?
- Examining emotional leadership
- Explore police meta-leadership
- Leadership styles
- Leadership challenges in a changing environment
- Assumption of command
- Internal communication and networking in policing
- Technology innovations and change in law enforcement
- Preparing for the future
Managing Public Relations in Policing
- What is public information?
- Media relations vs. public relations
- Management’s role in marketing
- Social Media as a public relations tool
- Steps of a comprehensive public/media relations plan
- Ethical considerations in media and public relations
- Public information in a small department
- Develop a public relations/communication strategy for the department.
- Define liability as it relates to law enforcement.
- Identify your responsibility as a law enforcement supervisor/commander.
- Identify areas that are commonly subject to civil liability.
- List actions that lead to liability cases.
- Identify the three major cases involving internal affairs investigations.
- Formulate a model off-duty conduct and employment policy.
- Develop ideas on how a discipline matrix may be used in your agency.
- Create strategies that reduce civil actions against the department.
- Identify potential liability areas.
- Devise systems that can estimate the probability that a negative occurrence may happen.
- Develop guidelines to determine how liability mitigation will be evaluated for success.
- Create a mission, purpose, and vision statement for a division/unit within your agency.
- Identify how your agency views integrity within the community.
- Identify major Divisions in a police agency and evaluate their interdependency.
- Create objectives relating to organizational development within your agency.
- Identify opportunities and threats that face your agency.
- Create an organizational strategy for your agency.
- Identify roles and responsibilities of each level of sworn officer within your agency.
- Develop ideas to mitigate attitudinal phenomena.
- Create values of how you will evaluate your organizational strategy.