View all upcoming courses for Law Enforcement and the Media.
How an incident is reported to the public can have an immediate and long-term impact on community relations. Today, the public requires timely, fact-filled reporting from law enforcement. The presentation of information needs to demonstrate a department’s accountability and transparency. Understanding how to provide information and create partnerships with the community is harmonious with media relations. Law enforcement agencies who practice strong media relations can provide communities with important information for personal and property safety. This course will help participants recognize the value of training public information officers and the commitment required of the position.
Attendees will examine the mindset of police and media and learn to recognize similarities and develop positive relationships. Attendees will understand the value of working with the media to produce positive news. This course will allow attendees to review steps for handling crisis communications and challenges they may encounter. Attendees will be able to identify the difference between a press conference and a press briefing. Attendees will craft an effective message for a crisis and learn how to handle media interviews during a mock press conference exercise.
Key topics include:
- Learn about the mindset of police and media – recognize similarities and how to develop positive relationships
- Understand the value of working with the media to produce positive news
- Manage the message by understanding the communication process and its impact
- Review steps for handling crisis communications and challenges you may encounter
- Learn how to craft an effective message in a crisis
- Learn how to handle media interviews
- Understand the difference between press conferences and press briefings
- Analyze and practice conducting press conferences
Course: Law Enforcement and the Media (Course Description)
When: March 15, 2021 – March 17, 2021, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Where: Virtual Course (Zoom)