Co-sponsor: Oak Lawn Police Department
Registration is full or closed. Please join the waiting list.
View all upcoming classes for Leadership and Command.
As law enforcement leaders progress up the ranks to the command level, it is imperative that those managers are provided with additional training to meet their advanced and increased demands. The need for leaders with adequate resources and equipment to properly and safely do their jobs becomes more critical. Meeting the diverse needs of the community requires that patrol officers are provided with appropriate guidance and strong leadership. The Leadership and Command training program focuses on developing skills important to protecting the community and enhancing the safety of the officers in the organization.
The Penn State Justice and Safety Institute (JASI) is pleased to partner with our co-sponsor to bring this intensive and innovative program to help provide leaders and managers with the information they need to meet today’s challenges. This highly interactive four-and-a-half-day program places an emphasis on real-life examples, the need for communication, and planning and managing change. All of our courses are instructed by current practitioners or recently retired executives. Key concepts and topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Knowing and developing the leader and those they lead — situational leadership
- Operational planning
- Strategic planning — changing face of police leadership
- Communication and problem solving
- Outreach strategies for managers
- SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analysis
- Value-based organizations
- Managing and influencing change
- A case study of an organization that has successfully implemented change and continues to grow positively
Registration is closed. Please join the waiting list.