Co-sponsor: Allegheny County Police Training Academy
Registration is full or closed. Please join the waiting list.
View all upcoming courses for Leadership and Command.
As law enforcement leaders progress up the ranks to the command level, it is imperative that those managers are provided with additional training to meet their advanced and increased demands. The need for leaders with adequate resources and equipment to properly and safely do their jobs becomes more critical. Meeting the diverse needs of the community requires that patrol officers are provided with appropriate guidance and strong leadership. The Leadership and Command training program focuses on developing skills important to protecting the community and enhancing the safety of the officers in the organization.
The Penn State Justice and Safety Institute (JASI) is pleased to partner with our co-sponsor to bring this intensive and innovative program to help provide leaders and managers with the information they need to meet today’s challenges. This highly interactive five-day program places an emphasis on real-life examples, the need for communication, and planning and managing change. All of our courses are instructed by current practitioners or recently retired executives. Key concepts and topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Psychology of leadership — brain functions, anchoring, adjustment, emotion, heuristics
- Leadership and command — definition, contrast
- Operational planning — goals, objectives, tools
- Communication — basics, barriers, platforms
- Problem-solving — manager’s role, identifying problems and causes
- Delegation — When and why you should delegate, barriers to delegation, accountability factors
- Managing organizational change — internal and external environments that require change, asking questions to determine the need for change, how changes affect dynamics, why changes fail
- Dealing with organizational diversity — identify generational cultures, compare and contrast differences/similarities between cultures, understanding generation Y (Millennials), create action plans to bring diverse generations together to support the mission of the agency
- Working with performance evaluations — common problems, rating characteristics, how they may affect performance and morale, rethink the way evaluations are completed and managed, create a performance development plan
- Strategic planning — purpose, vision and mission, SWOT analysis, develop timelines of a strategic plan
- Shared leadership — key steps, concepts, break down barriers
Course: Canceled: Leadership and Command (Course Description)
When: April 20, 2020 – April 24, 2020, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Where: Allegheny County Police Training Academy, 700 West Ridge Dr, Allison Park, PA 15101
Registration is closed. Please join the waiting list.